The Army Medal Office has been around since the first medal was awarded after the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.
And for 59 of those 200-plus years, it was based in Droitwich, issuing an estimated two million awards during that time.
The medals were made on land off Worcester Road that was given to the Ministry of Defence by the prominent Everton family to help the war effort in 1940. The land was also used as a police training school.
In 2006 the Army Medals Office was relocated to RAF Innsworth in Gloucestershire and the land given over for housing.
The development was originally named Harrison Park after Sergeant Ted Harrison, who was awarded the Military Medal for ‘‘conspicuous bravery and gallantry in the field’’ in July 1917.
He was killed in action in France the following month. There is an old memorial stone to him at St Augustine’s Church but no known grave.
Councillors decided to name the development Lawley Way after a former mayor.